Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Attitude Issues of Youth!



Yesterday I happened to address a gathering of students in one of the Top Engineering colleges in the state and I asked , " How many of you are here because you wanted to be an Engineer?" . To my great surprise only around 1/4th of the students raised the hands. I further clarified, "So, does this mean, vast majority of you are studying here because your parents wanted you to be an engineer?" .They nodded "Yes" .

At a later instance I asked, "How many of you have made a career plan for yourself? How many of you have some idea about what you want to do five years ahead?" . Except for a few single digit raising of hands (from the 200 plus students in the hall) , all the remaining was giving a blank look.

The general attitude of the students during the entire session was thus lack of interest. Despite my trying hard to engage , crack jokes and also ask them what they would like to discuss, I was not getting the right response. This had been so far one of the toughest interactive sessions I had ever conducted . The only time they smiled and enjoyed was when I asked one of their classmates to sing a song!



This led me thinking : Is it my incapability that I have been unable to capture their interest ? Or is it because the timing was an afternoon session ? Or is it because there were too many students? Or is it because the students lacked interest in my topic?



End of session, I asked a few students directly ,"Could you please tell me why the vast majority appeared to be not interested? Was my session boring?" . one girl said, "No maam, You were good.Actually today only I am seeing at least many of them smiling and sitting through the session." Another said, "Normally there wouldn't be any response. But today many of them responded." I then asked a few teachers and understood that the students generally have an "attitude issue" . Though I was a bit relieved, I was actually more concerned at the general attitude of a slice of the prime youth of the nation. I left the college with a feeling of injustice and an incompleteness. It was just an hour of interactive session and I couldn't do much considering the vast number of students in the hall.

I am wondering how we can inculcate interest and create right orientation to the students about enjoying what they are doing.

I think, this begins at the decision of the choice of education. We are still following a norm - "Choose something better than your neighbor's " We don't look at the capabilities, interests and passion of the kid when admitting him/ her for a course. Secondly, in India, career decision is not yet allowed to be taken by the student. Parents, society, friends and even the fishmonger and milkman suggests about which college is good or which course is better for the kid.


The root cause of all attitude issues of youth that we talk about nowadays is probably their "unhappiness" about their decisions and frustrations they undergo as they juggle between their individuality and submission to parental pressure. In India, our parents are to be sensitized first to allow their children to take responsibility and also be given the freedom to choose their responsibility. Only when the decision is ours, we take responsibility. When the decision is by someone else, we just "do" what they say or be mechanical. Ownership of decision and persistence is key to all success. Unfortunately, our teenagers and young adults are now not allowed to take decisions nor take responsibility. The natural defense mechanism they can take is plain disinterest. This is what we call as "Attitude Issues" .



Inviting educationists who can bell the cat ! :D

#CeeVee
#Musings #Education #Crisis #Unemployability #LackofInterest #Students #Attitude


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me in FB