Friday, August 3, 2018

Art of Giving


My birthday passed last week and my kids asked me " What gift do you want? ". I said, I don't want anything. I am content with whatever I have. Their plan was to spend their savings fund to buy some gift for me.
After I objected,They said, "OK, Then we will not."
But in the evening, when I came, they surprised me with the most beautiful gift that I have ever received ! No, its not a costly attire or jewelry or anything of that sort. It was a cake. This cake was different. It looked a bit dark (nearing to burnt), it was not very soft. But this was the most tasty cake that I have ever eaten. Because they baked it for me. 
After school, before I reached home, my kids spent their evening time to bake a birthday cake!
I was happy for two things : They spent their play time for making something for me.
Second, they are able to do these things independently without me involving ( well, they don't allow me either,since I don't know to bake.  They learnt it from my sister !)
Giving something valuable to someone is special. And the value of that thing depends on how the reciever perceives the same as well as the need of the receiver. A great transaction happens when the giver and receiver is satisfied over the received item.
According to me, the most valuable gift you can give someone is your time and expertise. When you spend time for someone else, you are actually giving a portion of your life for him/ her. Hence even a minute of you doing something for another person can be considered as a great gift. Moreover, unlike any material things, time and expertise helps in empowering another and in building a great relationship.
Remember, as I said above, the value of a gift depends on the mindset of the receiver. So, even if the giver gives the costliest gift, if the receiver is not ready to receive it, it becomes valueless.
I have been so far lucky to receive time and expertise as a gift from many people who I value greatly. And I also have been able to give my time and expertise to atleast a few people in the world so far.
Art of Giving thus stands for giving yourself artfully.
Pic: Myself and Jessica in front of the statue of one of the greatest giver the world has seen- Shree Budha 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me in FB