Monday, October 20, 2014

Whims and Fancies of a Parent

As a career consultant I get to meet several types of students and parents on a daily basis. This particular incident is still fresh in my mind. Hence narrating the same . 

Location: Education Expo, Marine Drive , Cochin.
Me and my team at our stall providing Career Guidance for students and parents. 
Met a lovely looking family. Mom, dad, a 17 yr old shy guy and his younger sister.
I asked- "So, young man, tell me what do you want to do in life?" . He didnt speak anything. he smiled ,looking at his mother. I asked, "So, you want to be an Engineer ? Or doctor? " He shook his head and said, "No" and then looked at his mother again. She then told me , "Madam, he doesnt want Engg or Medicine. We are looking for other good courses. He is telling that he wants to go to NASA and we can't send him there. He is not clear about his ambition and we want to guide him. we will choose only the best, after studying the various options. but one thing, I cant let him fly away from us. Ours is a joint family and we cant afford to send him away from family as per his wish." I then looked at this boy and asked , "So, what's ur plan dear?" . "Maam, I want to do BSc Physics, then MSc Physics and then go to any research institute outside to pursue research in Astro physics. From there I can go to NASA. We dont have much good courses in Astro physics in India. so, I want to go abroad." At this stage, the mother interevened and told me, "Madam, he is a kid , he doesnt know about career. It is our responsibility to guide him right and not just go behind fantasies!!.. I am an advocate and a counselor and I know my son will listen to what we say. He cant leave us and our family and go behind his imaginations! I am at his back always... I am his mother and he cant leave me and fly! " The shy boy looked down and was not even smiling, by this time.
Though we tried to convince her that the boy's educational goal was excellent , the mother was not ready to listen and she hurriedly left the place. she would have thought that if she continued sitting with me, she will lose her boy!
My dear Mother- you are not standing behind your son, but in front of him and his dreams!
Feeling upset on the fate of that brilliant boy who has 92% in plus two and full marks in Physics. Poor boy will soon end up in some Engineering college of the state and will end up as one of those 1000s of clueless Engineers!! And feeling sad that we have lost a good scientist and probably an Astronaut.
(Incidentally, this guy was the first one whom I have met after so many years , who actually was so clear about his career goals. I was so excited to see such a brilliant young boy of 17yrs who is talking about the difference between astro physics and normal physics... )
I wonder when will Parents accept what their child loves and not what they want !!


May god bless him and his parents! 
Cee Vee (March, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me in FB